7/03/2012

Jump Around

This weekend was really the first time we went out as a group.  A few of the girl's decided to journey to Wales, but the rest of decided to explore the night life here.  The first night we went to just a little pub we strolled across in Leicester Square.  There were only 3 of the 6 of us drinking.  But I had an outstanding cocktail called the Purple People Eater.  Vodka, Ameretto, Grenadine, Blue Mix, topped with sprite.  It was Kool-aid on steroids.

Andrew Adams as hand model.

Then the next day we went to explore Trafalgar's Square.  They have this ridiculous phone booths that are decorated differently for the Olympics, as well as the Olympic Countdown Clock, and Canada Day festival set up.  I wasn't sure about the last one either.


After Trafalgar's Square we ventured towards SoHo and Chinatown were we found a M&M store just like in NYC, but NYC doesn't have this.

While in Chinatown my friend Bill treated us to authentic Chinese food and I tried everything that was placed in front of me.  I just didn't ask questions..chewed...and swallowed.  I would like to also mention that I ate it all with chopsticks.  After lunch we decided to head to over to the markets which were a little less intense than those in NYC but you were still able to haggle and get good deals.  I got a wristletfor 2 pounds and haggled about how poorly it was made and I should get a discount.  Funny story, the wristlet band eventually fell off.  I should have listened to myself. 


Then that night as a group we headed to O'neils which is a three story building (well four if you count the terrace).  First floor is a pub with food services and table.  Second floor is like a horse shoe, but the middle of the horse shoe is a balcony that looks down onto the first floor.  Opposite the balcony there is a very small stage that houses live performances by bands and such.  Equipped with a bar as well.  Third floor is completely dance related with live DJ as well as bar. And the Terrace is meant for smoking but I have never seen so many people packed into a bar, it is worse than Oxford.  The terrace was the only source of fresh (ish) air. 
Terrace
 One thing I learned as we quickly entered the bar is that there are quite a few drunk British men who do not understand, "NO".  We were walking in and this guy grabbed my friends skirt she tried to continue walking but then he grabbed her sweater as well.  She turned and asked him to please stop but he shook his head no.  I was walking behind her so I judo-chopped his arm and he let go.  But was a total creeper the rest of the night. 


Lastly we got really lost on the way home and it ended up being an almost 3 hour journey.  By that time I was sober, freezing, and tired.  But on our journey home we stumbled (pun intended) across Sherlock Holmes House.  There is a great website tfl.uk.gov that will actually tell you where to walk, what underground to get on, or what buses to take.  Lesson from this trip.  Print one out and take it with you next time. :)


I thought he might have helped us find the way home.






No comments:

Post a Comment